Are you looking for a natural way to boost your muscle strength and take your fitness goals to the next level? Look no further than ashwagandha! This incredible herb has been gaining popularity in the fitness world for its potential benefits in enhancing muscle strength.
Ashwagandha supplementation has been shown to significantly increase muscle strength and stimulate muscle renewal processes. Not only does it help you build stronger muscles, but it also supports muscle recovery after intense workouts. Plus, ashwagandha has been found to lower levels of the stress hormone cortisol, which can hamper muscle growth and recovery.
So, if you’re looking to maximize your gains, improve your performance, and achieve your fitness goals, adding ashwagandha to your regimen may be a game-changer. Say hello to stronger muscles and hello to a fitter, more powerful you!
Scientific evidence on benefits of ashwagandha:
- Ashwagandha isn’t just an adaptogen; it also packs a punch when it comes to increasing muscle strength and promoting muscle renewal .
- Studies have shown that ashwagandha supplementation leads to significant improvements in muscle strength, particularly in the arms and chest .
- When compared to a placebo group, individuals taking ashwagandha experienced lower levels of exercise-induced muscle damage, as evidenced by stabilized plasma creatine kinase levels .
- Not only does ashwagandha enhance muscle strength, but it has also been linked to increased testosterone levels and reduced body fat .
- Ashwagandha can take your workouts to new heights by improving maximal aerobic capacity, extending time to exhaustion, and enhancing ventilatory threshold .
- By lowering levels of the stress hormone cortisol, ashwagandha contributes to a more balanced and energized state during exercise .
- For adult athletes, ashwagandha supplementation has shown a significant increase in maximum aerobic capacity (VO2 max) .
- Athletes who incorporated ashwagandha into their routine reported an overall improvement in their quality of life .
- With ashwagandha, athletes experienced quicker recovery from exercise, reduced fatigue, and increased energy levels .
- An added benefit of ashwagandha is its ability to boost antioxidant levels, supporting overall muscle health and recovery .
- Research has demonstrated that an aqueous extract of ashwagandha effectively enhances muscle strength while promoting healthy fat growth .
- After just 8 weeks of ashwagandha supplementation, participants saw significant increases in muscle strength and power .
- Individuals who took ashwagandha experienced faster muscle strength recovery following intense exercise that causes muscle damage .
Ashwagandha isn’t just a powerful adaptogenic herb; it’s a natural ally in your quest for greater muscle strength and overall fitness. Incorporate this ancient herb into your routine and unleash your inner strength.
Supplements for muscle strength: Possible side-effects:
You’ve probably heard your gym buddy rave about the bodybuilding products they’ve been using to boost muscle mass and strength. But are these products really safe to use?
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has some concerning findings.
- They discovered that some bodybuilding products illegally contain steroids or steroid-like substances that come with serious health risks .
- These risks include liver injury, which can be life-threatening .
- In fact, the FDA has received numerous reports of adverse events, including cases of severe liver damage .
- Anabolic steroids, often found in these products, have also been associated with unpleasant side effects like severe acne, hair loss, mood swings, irritability, aggression, and even depression .
- They’ve even been linked to life-threatening reactions such as kidney damage, heart attacks, strokes, and blood clots .
- The FDA has found many of these products labeled as “dietary supplements,” both online and in retail stores. However, they’re not true dietary supplements and often contain undisclosed or unproven ingredients .
- These companies are breaking the law by marketing these products without FDA approval or oversight .
- So, if you’re using any bodybuilding products claiming to have steroids or steroid-like substances, the FDA strongly advises you to stop taking them immediately due to the serious health risks involved .
- It’s essential to talk to your healthcare professional about any products you’ve taken or are planning to take, especially if you’re unsure about the ingredients .
- If you experience symptoms like nausea, weakness, fatigue, fever, abdominal pain, chest pain, shortness of breath, jaundice, or discolored urine, it’s crucial to seek medical advice right away. Your health and well-being should always be the top priority .
While the FDA raises concerns about certain bodybuilding products, there are natural alternatives that can help enhance muscle strength, such as ashwagandha. Ashwagandha is an ancient herb known for its adaptogenic properties and has been found to have potential benefits for muscle growth and strength. Research suggests that ashwagandha supplementation can significantly increase muscle strength and stimulate muscle renewal processes. It has also been shown to improve testosterone levels, decrease body fat, and enhance aerobic capacity.
Unlike the questionable ingredients found in some bodybuilding products, ashwagandha is a natural and safe option that can support your fitness goals without the associated risks. Always remember to consult with your healthcare professional before starting any new supplement regimen to ensure it aligns with your specific needs and health status.
Efficacy of ashwagandha in strengthening muscle strength:
You may have heard of ashwagandha for its stress-reducing and anxiety-relieving properties, but did you know it can also have positive effects on glucose, testosterone, and strength levels? This powerful herb, with its translation meaning “the strength of a horse,” has more to offer than meets the eye, making it a fantastic addition to your gym routine.
When it comes to muscle growth, cortisol can be a hindrance. This hormone is responsible for breaking down muscle tissue, affecting our hard work and training efforts. But that’s not all. High cortisol levels can also slow down digestion and promote fat storage, sabotaging our fitness goals. Additionally, chronically elevated cortisol can decrease testosterone production, disrupt sleep patterns, and weaken the immune system, leading to fatigue and increased susceptibility to illness.
While scientists are still unraveling the exact mechanisms of ashwagandha’s impact on cortisol, there is a wealth of scientific evidence supporting its effectiveness.
A recent study found that subjects taking ashwagandha saw 2.5x greater muscle strength gains over placebo groups. If you want to take your fitness to the next level, this ancient herb could be a game changer.
Ashwagandha has been shown to:
- Increase Muscle Mass and Strength: Studies demonstrate significantly greater improvements in muscle size and strength in those taking ashwagandha versus placebo. One mechanism is increased testosterone levels – ashwagandha can boost testosterone by up to 17% . It has also been found to increase strength, muscle size, and VO2 max [8-10]
- Reduce Cortisol: This stress hormone breaks down muscle tissue and hinders growth. Ashwagandha lowers cortisol by up to 27%, enabling better muscle recovery .
- Boost Antioxidants: The antioxidants in ashwagandha counter exercise-induced oxidative stress and support overall health.
- Enhance Brain Function: Ashwagandha supplements can improve memory, concentration and cognitive abilities – valuable assets for any athlete.
- Improves Cardiovascular health: Ashwagandha lowers LDL (bad) cholesterol, blood glucose, triglycerides, and hsCRP . Furthermore, ashwagandha can increase HDL (good) cholesterol and DHEAS levels .
- Recent studies have shown that ashwagandha can decrease serum cortisol levels by up to 27% .
- Contribute to a 17% increase in total testosterone .
Overall, ashwagandha is a proven solution for mitigating the negative effects of elevated cortisol on strength and other important markers in the body. While it can’t eliminate stress from our lives, it can certainly help us cope with it better. By keeping an eye on cortisol levels and incorporating ashwagandha into our lifestyle, we can stay strong and resilient throughout the year.
Before adding ashwagandha to your supplement routine, there are a few factors to consider.
- Pregnant women should avoid ashwagandha since its effects on expectant mothers have not been studied yet.
- Additionally, individuals with nightshade allergies should steer clear of this herb, as it is related to the nightshade family.
- As with any supplement, it’s crucial to consult with your healthcare provider before introducing something new into your regimen.
- By discussing with your doctor and assessing your specific needs, you can determine the right supplements and dosages for you.
How to consume ashwagandha for increasing muscle mass
Experts recommend taking 300-500 mg of high quality ashwagandha extract twice daily. It is best consumed with food and paired with exercises like strength training and HIIT for optimal results.
For muscle building, take ashwagandha 45-60 minutes pre-workout for energy and strength. You can also add it to your post-workout protein shake to support recovery. Additionally, creatine and ashwagandha together may have synergistic effects for muscle hypertrophy.
Complement your supplement regimen with stress-relieving practices like yoga, meditation and adequate sleep. Eat a diet rich in lean proteins, healthful fats and carbs to fuel your workouts and growth.
The time is now to tap into your inner reserves and fulfill your strength potential. Start reaping the power of ashwagandha today!
Q: How long does it take for ashwagandha to increase muscle strength?
A: Research indicates that significant increases in muscle strength may be noticed within 2-8 weeks of consistent ashwagandha supplementation paired with resistance training. Maximum results are usually achieved after 12 weeks.
Q: When should I take ashwagandha – morning or night?
A: Ashwagandha is best taken twice daily, once in the morning and once at night. The morning dose can boost energy and focus for your workouts. The night dose can reduce cortisol and promote restful sleep for recovery.
Q: Can I take ashwagandha on non-workout days?
A: Yes, you can take ashwagandha daily regardless of whether you are working out that day. It provides ongoing benefits for lowering cortisol, boosting testosterone and supporting muscle growth and recovery.
Q: What is the best ashwagandha product for muscle building?
A: Look for ashwagandha root extract supplements standardized to contain 5% withanolides, which are the active compounds. KSM-66 and Sensoril are patented extracts with clinical research for muscle strength.
Q: Are there any side effects or interactions with ashwagandha?
A: Ashwagandha is very well tolerated by most people. However, nausea, stomach upset or diarrhea are possible. Check for interactions if taking thyroid, diabetes, immunosuppressant or sedative medications.
Q: Can I take ashwagandha if I’m a woman?
A: Yes, women can safely take ashwagandha for its benefits. Opt for lower doses of 100-200mg daily as women are more sensitive to its effects. As a precaution, avoid ashwagandha if pregnant or breastfeeding
- Gupta, A.; Mahdi, A.; Shukla, K.K.; Ahmad, M.K.; Bansal, N.; Sankhwar, P.; Sankhwar, S.N. Efficacy of Withania somnifera on seminal plasma metabolites of infertile males: A proton NMR study at 800 MHz. J. Ethnopharmacol. 2013, 149, 208–214.
- Sengupta, P.; Agarwal, A.; Pogrebetskaya, M.; Roychoudhury, S.; Durairajanayagam, D.; Henkel, R. Role of Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha) in the management of male infertility. Reprod. Biomed. Online 2018, 36, 311–326.
- Dalle-Donne, I.; Rossi, R.; Giustarini, D.; Milzani, A.; Colombo, R. Protein carbonyl groups as biomarkers of oxidative stress. Clin. Chim. Acta. 2003, 329, 23–38.
- Durg, S.; Shivaram, S.B.; Bavage, S. Withania somnifera (Indian ginseng) in male infertility: An evidence-based systematic review and meta-analysis. Phytomedicine 2018, 50, 247–256.
- Dongre, S.; Langade, D.; Bhattacharyya, S. Efficacy and Safety of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) Root Extract in Improving Sexual Function in Women: A Pilot Study. Biomed Res. Int. 2015, 2015, 284154.
- Chauhan, S.; Srivastava, M.K.; Pathak, A.K. Effect of standardized root extract of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) on well-being and sexual performance in adult males: A randomized controlled trial. Health Sci. Rep. 2022, 5, e741.
- Shukla K. K., Mahdi A. A., Mishra V., et al. Withania somnifera improves semen quality by combating oxidative stress and cell death and improving essential metal concentrations. Reproductive BioMedicine Online. 2011;22(5):421–427. doi: 10.1016/j.rbmo.2011.01.010.
- Ahmad M. K., Mahdi A. A., Shukla K. K., et al. Withania somnifera improves semen quality by regulating reproductive hormone levels and oxidative stress in seminal plasma of infertile males. Fertility and Sterility. 2010;94(3):989–996. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2009.04.046.
- Dongre S., Langade D., Bhattacharyya S. Efficacy and Safety of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) Root Extract in Improving Sexual Function in Women: A Pilot Study. BioMed Research International. 2015;2015 doi: 10.1155/2015/284154.284154
- Mamidi P., Thakar A. Efficacy of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera Dunal. Linn.) in the management of psychogenic erectile dysfunction. AYU (An International Quarterly Journal of Research in Ayurveda) 2011;32(3):p. 322. doi: 10.4103/0974-8520.93907.
- Bhattarai J. P., Park S. A., Han S. K. The methanolic extract of Withania somnifera acts on GABAA receptors in gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH) neurons in mice. Phytotherapy Research. 2010;24(8):1147–1150. doi: 10.1002/ptr.3088.